When we remove your braces, you will begin the retention stage of your orthodontic treatment. This stage is just as important as the active movement stage of your therapy. Your retainer is specially designed by Drs. Nichelini and Shanahan to help hold the alignment of your teeth while the bite settles. Your final orthodontic results depends on your retainers, so follow through with the hard work that’s been done so far to keep your teeth straight. It is very important that you wear your retainers exactly as you have been instructed.
It is also especially important to get a dental check-up with your general dentist now that all of the orthodontic attachments have been removed. This will allow for detection of any cavities that may have formed so that they can be restored.
Please follow these guidelines:
- Please wear your retainers full-time until Drs. Nichelini and Shanahan instruct you otherwise.
- Do not wear your retainer when you are eating.
- When you are not wearing your retainer, always place it in its case. Do not wrap it in a napkin; it may be accidently thrown away!
- Remember to remove your retainer before brushing, and brush your retainer with cool water (not hot!) before placing it back in your mouth.
- If you are having trouble speaking while wearing your retainer, practice reading aloud, talking on the phone or singing along to the radio. This will help you get used to your retainers.
- Handle your retainers carefully. They can easily break. If you accidently break one of them, call us as soon as possible.
- If you think your retainer needs any adjustments, please make an appointment. Never attempt to adjust your retainer yourself.
- Bring your retainers to every follow-up appointment.
- Please remove your retainer before swimming or other sports.
- Never put your retainer in hot or boiling water to clean it. It can melt!
- Keep your retainers away from hot car dashboards and out of the washing machine.
Replacing your retainer is expensive! If you follow the above guidelines, your retainer can last for years!